Hyeon-Seon JEONG (Ph.D. in Media Education)
Professor of Media Literacy at Department of Korean Education & Director of Center for Media Literacy Research, Gyeongin National University of Education, South Korea
I am Professor of Media literacy education at the Department of Korean Education and the Faculty of Master’s Program of A.I. Education at the Gyeongin National University of Education. I am also Director of Center for Media Literacy Research at the same university. I completed my Ph.D. in Media Education at UCL Institute of Education, under my supervisor, Professor David Buckingham in November, 2001.
My research interests are focused on children and young people’s media and digital literacy practices in and out-of-school settings; developing curriculum, classroom activities and teaching materials for media and digital literacy education; teachers’ agency and roles in media and digital literacy education; young people’s critical understanding of social media and digital platforms; and digital parenting.
I directed policy research on Innovative classroom practices for media literacy education (Ministry of Education, 2015), Developing models of school textbook units for media literacy education (Ministry of Education, 2016), Systematizing news literacy education (Korea Press Foundation, 2016), Developing Classroom Materials of Media Literacy Education for 5th and 6th Graders (Ministry of Education, 2018), and contributed as a co-researcher on the policy research on Digital Literacy Across the Curriculum in South Korea: Current State and Suggestions for the Future(Korean Institute for Curriculum and Evaluation, 2018).
I have widely advised on policies of media and digital literacy education for public institutions including Korea Press Foundation, National Information Agency, and Community Media Foundation Incheon Center. While I was serving as Director of Institute of Education and Research at Gyeongin National University of Education (2019-2020), I organized two International Seminars on Media and Digital Literacy Education: “2019 International Seminar on Media Literacy and Digital Citizenship Education” (2019.6.18.)and “Rethinking Literacy, Digital Competency and Media Education in the Age of Digital Platforms: International Webinar” (2020.9.4.).
I was one of the keynote speaker of 2018 Hong Kong MES and organized a workshop on algorithm literacy education at the 2019 Seoul International Media and Information Literacy Conference. Internationally, I have contributed chapters to Media Education in Asia (Springer, 2009), Mapping Media Education Policies in the World (Communicar, 2010), New Media and Learning in the 21st Century (Springer, 2015), Learning Beyond the School (Routledge, 2019) and International Encyclopedia of Media Literacy (Wiley, 2019).
I am the founder of the Center for Media Literacy Research at the Gyeongin National University of Education, working together with colleagues with multidisciplinary backgrounds for new approaches to media literacy in the age of digital transformation. Additionally, I regularly give advice to the public organizations such as the National Internet Promotion Agency and the Korea Institute of Childcare and Education in order to develop the guidelines of the use of smartphone and the preschool curriculum for communication. I am a frequently invited speaker of academic conferences and forums of literacy and digital media literacy learning as well as in parental meetings of pre- and elementary schools, based on her research and publications in digital media literacy learning and digital parenting.
Selected Scholarly books written and published in Korean
- Jeong, H. (2017). Introduction to Digital Parenting. Seoul: Our School.*
- Choi, M.,Won, J., Chung, H., Kim, B., Lee, G., Jeon, E., Jeong, H., & Joo, S. (2016). Introduction to Korean Education (3rd ed.). Seoul: Social Criticism Publishing.
Edited research books, including prestigious reference works in English
- Yoon, J., Jeong, H., & Kim, A. (2019). ML in South Korea. In The International Encyclopedia of Media Literacy. (edited by Renee Hobbs & Paul Mihailidis). Wiley.
Scholarly book chapters and journal article written and published in English
- Jacques, J., Grosman, J., Collard, A-S., Oh, Y., Kim, A. & Jeong, H.(2020). “In the Shoes of an Algorithm”: A Media Education Game to Address Issues Related to Recommendation Algorithms. Journal of Education. 3(1), 37-62, June 2020. http://dx.doi.org/10.25020/JoE.2020.3.1.37.
- Jeong, H. (2018). Literacy Practices and Popular Culture in the “Over-Schooled” Society. In Learning Beyond the School: International Perspectives on the Schooled Society. (pp.174-192). London & New York: Routledge.
- Jeong, H. & Kim, A. (2015) The Digital Textbook in South Korea: Opportunities and Challenges. In New Media and Learning in the 21st Century: A Socio-Cultural Perspective (pp.77-91). Springer.
Selected Scholarly book chapters written and published in Korean
- Jeong, H. (2018). Digital Media Literacy Education in the Age of Artificial Intelligence. In The 4th Industrial Revolution and Education (pp.213-242). Seoul: Books and Space.*
Selected Refereed journal articles written and published in Korean (KCI: Korea Citation Index)
- Jeong, H. (2018). A critical review of the contents of media literacy in Elementary Korean Textbooks with the focus on the 3rd and 4th Grades. Elementary Korean Language Education, 65, 191-224.*
- Min, B., Chung, H., Jeong, H., Kim, J., Kwon, E., Park, S., Lee, B., Yim, H., & Park, H. (2017). Korean adolescents’ oral language culture: Difference by school year, sex and residence. Korean Language Education, 159, 137-182.
- Chang, E., Jeong, H., Guil, & Kim, A. (2017). Developing a model unit for middle school news literacy education. Field Research in Korean Language Education, 11(1), 79-117.
- Park, Y., Jeong, H., & Yim, S. (2016). Imagining through webtoon: Webtoon-focused convergence education project in middle school. Research in Comics and Animation, 45, 451-477. UCI : G704-001980.2016..45.008 [KCI: 1]
- Jeong, H., Kim, A., Park, Y., Jeon, G., Lee, J., & Noh, J. (2016). Media literacy as 21st century key competence: Systematizing media literacy teaching and learning contents. Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 16(11), 211-238. DOI : 10.22251/jlcci.2016.16.11.211 [KCI: 1]*
- Jeong, H., Kim, J., Kim, J. (2016). Investigation of relationships between the types of after-school care and the elementary students’ media literacy activities and awareness. Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 16(8), 641-667. UCI : G704-001586.2016.16.8.032 [KCI: 3]*
- Chung, H., Kim, J., Jeong, H., Shon, W., Kim, J., Min, B. (2016). Longitudinal changes in out-of-school literacy practices from Grade 3 to 5 and its predictors: A latent growth curve modeling approach. Korean Language Education, 153, 171-209. UCI : G704-000315.2016..153.009 [KCI: 3]*
- Jeong, H. & Oh, E. (2016). A case study of Korean language education instruction in a free-semester middle school for the curriculum reconstruction and instructional improvement. Curriculum and Evaluation, 19(2), 1-25. UCI : G704-001275.2016.19.2.002 [KCI: 8]
- Won, A.& Jeong, H. (2015). A case study on an Internet cartoon creating community of sixth-grade boys. Field Research in Korean Language Education, 9(2), 7-39. UCI : G704-SER000001820.2015.9.2.007 *
- Jeong, H. (2015). A case study of the development and application of a gifted and talented language arts program. Korean Language Education, 149, 145-180. UCI : G704-000315.2015..149.005
- Sohn, W., Chung, H., Jeong, H., Kim, J. & Min, B. (2015). A model of out-of-school literacy practices of Korean elementary students: effects of parents, teachers, and students’ characteristics. Korean Language Education, 148, 263-298. UCI : G704-000315.2015..148.008 [KCI: 5]*
- Jeong, H., Chung, H., Kim, J., Min, B., & Sohn, W. (2014). The survey of the media literacy practices among elementary school students. Journal of Reading Research, 33, 127-170. DOI : 10.17095/JRR.2014.33.4 [KCI: 12]*
- Jeong, H. (2014). The meaning and methods of multimodal literacy education. Field Research in Korean Language Education, 8(2), 61-93. UCI : G704-SER000001820.2014.8.2.003 [KCI: 14]*
- Jeong, H. (2014). Survey of elementary school students’ perceptions on the parent and teacher support of their literacy practices, Korean Language Education, 146, 311-348. UCI : G704-000315.2014..146.013 [KCI: 6]*
- Chung, H., Kim, J., Min, B., Sohn, W., Baik, H., Baik, J., Park, C., Oh, E., & Jeong, H. (2013). Survey of South Korean elementary school students’ out-of-school literacy practices. Journal of Reading Research, 30, 287-336. UCI : G704-001476.2013..30.006 [KCI: 12]*
- Jeong, H. (2013). A case study on a collaborative media production and writing class in a “SMART education” environment. Elementary Korean Language Education, 53, 301-335. UCI : G704-001287.2013..53.004 [KCI: 11]*
- Chung, H., Min, B., Sohn, W., Jeong, H., Kim, J. (2013). Frequency of South Korean elementary students’ out-of-school literacy practices, reasons for them, and their self-evaluation. Journal of Korean Language Education Research, 32, 225-272. DOI : 10.17313/jkorle.2013..32.225 [KCI: 5]
- Jeong, H. (2013). Rethinking the language and writing space of SNS and the implications to Korean education. Korean Language Education, 142, 79-114. UCI : G704-000315.2013..142.007 [KCI: 16]
- Jeong, H. & Kim, J. (2013). A case study of practical use of the digital textbook for Korean for 6 grade speaking-listening class. Curriculum and Evaluation, 16(2), 77-102. UCI : G704-001275.2013.16.2.006 [KCI: 1]
- Jeong, H. (2013). A critical review of the digital textbook for Korean and the argumentation for the importance of using tools in the teaching and learning activities. Korean Language Education, 140, 509-544. UCI : G704-000315.2013..140.001 [KCI: 7]*
Other research outputs (reports) written and published in Korean
- Jeong, H., Lee, J., Lee, M., Yoon, M., Lee, S., Kim, G., & Ji. M. (2018). Developing Resources for Teaching and Learning of 5th and 6th Grade Elementary Korean for 2015 National Curriculum. Ministry of Education.
- Noh, E., Shin, H., Lee, J. & Jeong, H. (2018). Digital Literacy Practices and Suggestion of Improvement across the Curriculum. Korea Institute of Curriculum and Evaluation. *
- Jeong, H., Kim, A., Park, Y. & Choi, S. (2016). Systematic Approach to News Literacy Education. The Korea Press Foundation.
- Jeong, H., Kim, A., Park, Y. Chang, E., Guil, H. (2016). Developing Models of School Textbook Units for Media Literacy Education. Ministry of Education.*
- Jeong, H., Park, Y., Jeon, G., Park, H., Lee, J., & Noh, J. (2015). Innovating Classroom Practices for Media Literacy Education. Ministry of Education.*